I didn’t get a lot done today, due to a clingy kid. However, during naptime I did some baking. Without decent snack items in the house – Andrew thinks every snack should be sugared cereal. So, I made muffins, banana bread, and my own creation that I am very proud of… A little something I have dubbed White ChocoCran Granola Bars. Yes, my very own recipe. And – they are good. Real good. Surprisingly good. If you like granola bars – that is. Generally, I am recipe thief. I love Allrecipes.com. Over half of what we eat comes from that site. And I’ve tried a few granola bar recipes, but nothing that I loved. So I tweaked and tweaked, and… ta da. Below is my very own recipe. I give it 5 stars. (And surprisingly – the muffins, the banana bread, and bars all took mostly the same ingredients).
White ChocoCran Granola Bars
- 1.5 cups quick oats
- ½ cup Grape Nuts
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour minus 1 T.
- 1 tablespoon soy flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, Grape Nuts, brown sugar, wheat germ, flours, cranberries, chocolate chips and salt.
- In separate smaller bowl, mix the honey, applesauce, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Cool completely.
Don’t be fooled by all the ‘healthy’ ingredients. These really are good.